The below is a master index of articles intended to provide the future and existing Weimaraner puppy owner with additional information about the Weimaraner breed, the Barrett breeding philosophy, getting a puppy, and other stuff to browse through as time allows. As always, please feel free to contact me directly with any questions, anytime.
The Weimaraner Breed:
- Life with Weimaraners
- Weimaraner Health Problems
- Hereditary, Genetic and Congenital Conditions in Weimaraners
- Weimaraner Ways (written by Virginia Alexander)
- This book was written by my girl’s breeder, Ms. Virginia Alexander. If you’re only to own ONE book about Weimaraners, make this be the one. It’s FULL of Weimaraner specific information that you simply cannot get in just any book. I own this book and am happy to show it to you, but my copy is autographed so I’m not willing to lend it out. 🙂
- Weimaraners (written by Judythe Coffman)
- This book is a bit outdated, but it still has useful Weimaraner-specific information in it. I also own this book, and I’m happy to lend it out.
Getting a Puppy:
- How Long is the Wait List for a Weimaraner Puppy?
- How to Find a Reputable Breeder
- How to Buy a Weimaraner Puppy
- General Puppy Buyer Etiquette
- Why Your Breeder Selects Your Puppy
- The Difference Between a Show Dog and a Pet Dog
- The Difference Between Male and Female Weimaraners
- Alternatives to Weimaraners
- Frequently Asked Questions
Starting Your Barrett Puppy:
Recommended Orange County, California Veterinarians:
- PetPoint Medical Center and Resort. Irvine. Dr. Kathy Wentworth, DVM.
- Barrett dogs in their care: Blaise Pascal, LadyBug, Mango
- Integrative Veterinary Health Center. Dr. Robert Woods, DVM. Orange. Click here to download the new patient form. (This vet used to practice with Dr. Kali and has since moved on. He sees a lot of local Weimaraners.)
- Barrett dogs in their care: Graham, Eva, Sookie and Marshall
- North Tustin Veterinary Clinic. Tustin. Dr. Kali, DVM. New clients get 50% off the first exam. Click here to download the new client form.
- Barrett dogs in their care: Britta, Friday, and Boulder
- Orange Canyon Pet Clinic. Orange. Dr. Kristen Murphy, DVM and Dr. John Black, DVM.
- Brook-Ellis Pet Hospital. Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley. Dr. Heidi Tschauner, DVM.
- Barrett dogs in their care: Heinrich, and Wally
- Newport Beach Veterinary Clinic. Newport Beach. Dr. Jeffrey S. Cohen, DVM, DACVIM.
- Barrett dogs in their care: Seren
Recommended Los Angeles County Veterinarians:
- Rose City Vets. Pasadena. Dr. Dana Bleifer, DVM. (This is Jasper’s vet.) New clients receive a FREE Initial Wellness Office Visit ($50 value).
- Barrett dogs in their care: Jasper. This is also Friday, Boulder, LadyBug, and Stark’s reproductive specialist/vet.
Recommended Utah Veterinarians:
- Cedar City Animal Hospital. Dr. Cameron Norton, DVM, MPH.
- Barrett dogs in their care: Luna
Other recommended veterinarians with reproductive services:
- Cottonwood Animal Hospital. Dr. Rob Bagley, DVM. 6360 S Highland Dr, Salt Lake City, UT 84121. Telephone: 801-893-2580
- Barrett dogs in their care: Tennessee
Health and Wellness:
- Your New Weimaraner Puppy: How to Survive the First Six Months (written by Anne Taguchi and Meredith Wadsworth)
- This manual is written specifically for new Weimaraner puppy owners. Every Barrett puppy comes home with one of these, but if you’d like to buy a copy, please do so!
- 101 Dog Tricks (written by Kyra Sundance)
- A must-have for puppy owners; it’s a great book for bonding with your puppy and teaching her a few good tricks!
- Southern California Training Facilities
- Jump Start Dog Sports, Yorba Linda, CA. I’ve taken a few conformation and obedience classes here with my dogs, and highly recommend the knowledge and expertise at this full-service facility. (Friday and LunaBelle have been here.)
- Wags and Wiggles, Tustin and Rancho Santa Margarita, CA. We haven’t trained our dogs at this facility, but we have sent them here for daycare and weekend boarding when we’re out of town. (Britta and Wally been here.)
- Penny Scott-Fox, Pasadena, CA. Jasper/Orange Boy from our 2013 litter and his parents have been enrolled in a few of Penny’s classes. Penny comes highly recommended from Jasper’s family. (Jasper has been here.)
Local Weimaraner Rescues:
- California Weimaraner Education and Rescue | Southern California
- Friends for Pets| Southern California
- Northern California Weimaraner Rescue | Northern California
- American Kennel Club | The national dog website for the United States.
- North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association | A group for hunting/bird dogs.
- Steady with Style | A site dedicated to the West/Gibbons/Lindley method of training pointing dogs the low pressure, quiet way.
- The Whole Dog Journal | Particularly useful for troubleshooting dog problems.
- The Dog Snobs | It’s a great way to pass an afternoon when I’m feeling judgmental… hey, it happens.
- Just Weimaraners | Just like it sounds, an entire website dedicated just for Weimaraner owners.
- Weimaraner Addict | A forum for Weimaraner addicts.
- Weimaraner Club of America | The national club website for the United States.
- Orange Coast Weimaraner Club | A club for Weimaraner owners in Southern California. This club hosts field trials.
- Southland Weimaraner Club | Another club site for Weimaraner owners in Southern California. This club hosts annual conformation/show specialties.
- Introduction to Conformation/Bench Dog Shows | A very informative post by the folks at Aldemar Weimaraners.
- Becoming a Better Conformation/Bench Owner/Handler | An article by Christi McDonald
- Canine Chronicle | It’s gonna be a cool day when my dogs are featured on this site.
2019 AKC Conformation Point Schedule
|DIVISION 6: ARIZONA, COLORADO||2||2||3||3||4||4||5||5||6||6|
|DIVISION 8: OREGON, WASHINGTON||2||2||3||5||4||7||5||8||6||11|
|DIVISION 9: CALIFORNIA||2||2||3||4||4||6||5||7||6||9|
|DIVISION 13: ID, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, SD, UT, WY||2||2||3||4||4||5||5||6||6||7|
|AKC Point Schedule, Weimaraners, Effective May 15, 2019|
Last updated: May 2019