“Above all, the dog’s conformation must indicate the ability to work with great speed and endurance in the field.”
Sporting events, such as dog shows, hunt tests, field trials, ratings tests, etc. test a particular dog’s strength in each venue and are important to the Barrett Weimaraners breeding program. Dog show wins acknowledge a dog’s physical adherence to the breed standard, and field trials, hunt tests and ratings tests confirm a dog’s basic working ability.
Our breed standard indicates that a Weimaraner “must indicate the ability to work with great speed and endurance in the field.”
We think a really great way to show great speed and endurance in the field is to field trial. (Click here for a primer on what field trials are, and why we think they’re important). Of course, in order to field trial, we need to breed dogs who are capable of competing in the sport.
To date, Barrett Weimaraners has bred or co-bred six litters of field trial prospect dogs:
- 2015 Bo x Mika Litter – Turbo from the litter is currently being campaigned as a field trial dog with Diane Vater of AlphaDog. Street creds include winning the 2017 WCA Western Field Futurity, and winning the NWA Open Derby stake, two years in a row.
- 2016 Rossi x Mika Litter – Baja from the litter is actively being trained by Craig Troncale in Kern County, CA and handled by his owner, Charles Salse. Baja won the 2018 WCA Western Field Futurity and has Amateur Gun Dog placements. Littermate sister Sookie also placed in the Field Futurity and is currently in training for upper-level competition.
- 2018 Bo x Luna Litter – Dieter from the litter is currently being used as a personal bird hunting dog in Washington State.
- 2019 Echo x Gracie Litter – Puppies out of this litter are still young; but we expect to see them out and about in Autumn 2020.
- 2019 Otto x Bliss Litter – Puppies out of this litter are still young; but we expect to see them out and about in Autumn 2020.
- 2019 Bowie x Gracie Litter – Puppies out of this litter are still young; but we expect to see them out and about in Autumn 2020.
As breeders, we also own a handful of field trial prospect dogs who were bred by other field trial breeders:
Undated photo – Bliss was bred by Heartbeat Weimaraners in Michigan
January 2019 – Kim and Tearin (bred by Trax Weimaraners) in California City, CA
January 2019 – Beth and Soba (bred by Trax Weimaraners) in California City, CA
November 2018 – Terry Chandler (Rugerheim Kennels), John Nelssen (Knights Weimaraners) and Steven (bred by Trax Weimaraners) in Paulden, AZ
Click here to view a highlight reel of recent accomplishments from our field trial dogs.
You may also view a whole collection of blog posts summarizing all the different field trials we’ve road tripped to and participated in over the last five years. And I’ll admit; a big reason why we field trial is because the people are wonderful.
As of November 3, 2018, 14 Barrett-bred and/or owned Weimaraners have earned a total of FIFTY-TWO placements at the AKC field trials. Click here to see the list.
Last updated: May 2020