If you don’t already have a veterinarian you trust, please read this article, written by Anne Taguchi and Meredith Wadsworth. Make a short list of potential candidates. Then, take a look at the Weimaraner Club of America’s Vaccination Protocol. Print out the protocol, and take it with you when you go talk to your potential new vet. Ask your vet if they’d be willing to follow this protocol with your new puppy. IF THEY SAY NO, OR TRY TO CONVINCE YOU TO FOLLOW A DIFFERENT PROTOCOL, OR IF THEY TRY TO TELL YOU IT’S OKAY TO VACCINATE DIFFERENTLY, PLEASE WALK AWAY AND FIND A NEW VET.
If You’re About to Bring a Puppy Home: Start interviewing vets as soon as possible, and make an appointment for your puppy’s first visit, which should be when your puppy is 12 weeks old. Also – LOCATE THE NEAREST 24-HOUR EMERGENCY VET TO YOUR HOME. Keep this information someplace handy. Suggestion: Store this information as a contact in your cell phone. When it’s an emergency, you will want to figure out where to go, FAST, without Googling where the nearest facility is.
Recommended Southern California veterinarians:
- PetPoint Medical Center and Resort. Irvine. Dr. Kathy Wentworth, DVM.
- Barrett dogs in their care: Blaise Pascal, LadyBug, Mango
- Integrative Veterinary Health Center. Dr. Robert Woods, DVM. Orange. Click here to download the new patient form. (This vet used to practice with Dr. Kali and has since moved on. He sees a lot of local Weimaraners.)
- Barrett dogs in their care: Graham, Eva, Sookie and Marshall
- North Tustin Veterinary Clinic. Tustin. Dr. Kali, DVM. New clients get 50% off the first exam. Click here to download the new client form.
- Barrett dogs in their care: Britta, Friday, and Boulder
- Orange Canyon Pet Clinic. Orange. Dr. Kristen Murphy, DVM and Dr. John Black, DVM.
- Brook-Ellis Pet Hospital. Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley. Dr. Heidi Tschauner, DVM.
- Barrett dogs in their care: Heinrich, and Wally
- Newport Beach Veterinary Clinic. Newport Beach. Dr. Jeffrey S. Cohen, DVM, DACVIM.
- Barrett dogs in their care: Seren
Los Angeles County:
- Rose City Vets. Pasadena. Dr. Dana Bleifer, DVM. (This is Jasper’s vet.) New clients receive a FREE Initial Wellness Office Visit ($50 value).
- Barrett dogs in their care: Jasper. This is also Friday, Boulder, LadyBug, and Stark’s reproductive specialist/vet.
Recommended Southern Utah veterinarians:
- Cedar City Animal Hospital. Dr. Cameron Norton, DVM, MPH.
- Barrett dogs in their care: Luna
Other recommended veterinarians with reproductive services:
- Cottonwood Animal Hospital. Dr. Rob Bagley, DVM. 6360 S Highland Dr, Salt Lake City, UT 84121. Telephone: 801-893-2580
- Barrett dogs in their care: Tennessee
You may also click here to view the whole list of Barrett-recommended veterinarians. Please email us to let us know of a great doctor we should add.