Not the update we wanted to share, but MANGO went in for a c-section yesterday and… we lost the singleton puppy she was carrying.
It’s a reminder that no matter much heart, hope, logistics, coordination, and help we have when planning a litter that sometimes, it just. doesn’t. work. out.
There was an incredible village effort behind this breeding, and I was hoping to share the story under happier circumstances.
Christine/Cheyenne Weimaraners in Colorado and I knew that Mango was due to be bred in December, and due to distance and the Holidays, we knew we had to plan for an artificial breeding (IVF for dogs).
Mango, being Mango (eg stubborn) was on her own timeline and decided that she wasn’t ready for the breeding until the day after Christmas. Really, Mango?! Unfortunately, that’s the one day FedEx won’t guarantee a package could be delivered. Knowing this was a possibility, we planned ahead.
The game plan was for Barry to fly to Denver, Colorado on the morning of the 26th from Burbank, California. To make the flight out, Barry departed Tehachapi at 3:30 AM. At 8:00 AM while Barry was mid-flight, Christine and Ann had Louie’s semen collected and prepared for shipment. The girls met Barry when he landed, and Barry immediately checked in for his return flight.
After a layover in Phoenix (and lunch with Stacy and Gene!), Barry landed in Burbank at 5:30 PM and drove straight to Rose City Veterinary Hospital, where Dr. Dana Bleifer was on stand-by after hours, ready for the procedure as soon as the package arrived.
At 7:00 PM, Dr. Bleifer called me personally to let me know that everything looked good and the procedure went well. “Now we wait.”
30 days later, we received the guarded news that Mango was indeed pregnant, but that there was only one heartbeat found in the ultrasound. Maybe two. Awesome. If the one puppy is a great puppy, it’s still a success.
Fast forward to this week. Mango was due to deliver her singleton puppy, but never went into labor. A trip to the vet for a scheduled c-section would prove to be fruitless. Mango will not get to raise this puppy.
Everyone on Mango’s wait list has been notified of the unfortunate circumstances. It saddens me that after so many months (and for some of you, YEARS) for a Mango puppy… we’ll just have to keep on waiting.
On the bright side, the resident Queen is recovering nicely and other than feeling a little sluggish, she seems to be just fine. A heartfelt thanks to everyone who checked in. Texts with hilarious memes and Weimaraner follies continue to be greatly appreciated. We will be repeating the breeding at Mango’s next cycle.
Tomorrow, we’ll share some better news that Mango’s littermate sister Ruby had a litter of puppies.
- Lisa Woods – The miracle of birth is just that, a miracle. I’m so sorry it didn’t work out this time.
- Donnette Waters – So sorry!
- Leslie Rogal – Mango, you and I just both went through some things. R&R because there’s another set of puppies destined for you Mama!
- Crystal Mitchell Graves – I’m so sorry for Mango and your family. Grateful she is recovering well and happy you had good news about Ruby to give you a little comfort at this time.
- Beau Roy – Sending hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery – some day those pups will arrive and it will be worth the wait!!
- Todd Eslinger – Our condolences, and prayers for Mango’s full and speedy recovery.
- James Plate – So sorry to read the sad news! Wishing Mango has a speedy recovery.
- Julie L. Aune – . Mango is beautiful and hopefully will have much better timing in the future!
- Megan Lamberson Rice – I am so sorry Kim and crew. Glad Mango is okay.
- Susan Feigon – Mila sends hugs!!
- Vita Posternak – Sending hugs to you and Mango
- Kim Whatley Urbani – Hugs and love!
- Donna Brunson Devine – So sorry! You guys really ARE the best!! Yay for Ruby!
- Sue Turner – So glad Mango is doing well. She’s the silver lining.
- Audrey Erich – So sorry.
- Michelle Nowacki – So sorry, Kim…
- Meghan Smith – That sweet face. I’m so sorry for you all.
- Dona Tanaka – Amp and Fin said to give Mango a big hug for them.
- Charmaine Chastain – Disappointing for all but so glad Mango is recuperating.
- Judy Owen – So sorry Kim relieved Mango is recovering well
- Debbie Greg Sanderson – Barry, we’re so sorry about your Mango baby
- Kristin Glencer Strojan – Aww. So sorry.
- Julia Sorrell – Oh sweet girl, all my hugs to you, Barry, and Mango
Final Tally: Puppies, 0. Expenses: $17,121.42