Purposeful breeding with careful research, thorough screening and exhaustive evaluation within a safe environment is the backbone of the Barrett Weimaraners breeding program. Dogs who are selected for breeding are done so with utmost consideration and become the next generation of ambassadors for the Weimaraner breed.
To the extent that we are able, we invite prospective Weimaraner owners to join us in our cause. The best candidates are those who have flexible schedules and are able to meet with us (or lend us their dogs) on occasional weekends to evaluate young dogs for potential for what they were bred for. Those who are selected to become stud dogs will help the Weimaraner community at large have access to a nice dog in an otherwise diminished gene pool.
The below is a sample Purchase Agreement for those who might want to consider a male breeding-prospect Weimaraner. “Versions A and B” are for hunting/field trial dogs, and “Version B” is for the show dogs.
Please reach out to us if you have any questions! – Kim and Stacy
Purchase Agreement – Male Breeding Prospect
Barrett Weimaraners is committed to the mentorship and guidance of Weimaraner owners towards responsible and ethical ownership so that the breed may flourish and be protected from indiscriminate breeding.
The contract terms set forth are prepared for the benefit of each individual dog, breeder/seller, and buyer, to provide guarantees to both the seller and the buyer as set forth in this document, to ensure the dog is properly cared for, to systematically sustain the Barrett breeding program, and to prevent the exploitation of the Weimaraner breed through unselective breeding programs and practices.
The following agreement is between Kim Burnell or Stacy Yochum/Barrett Weimaraners, hereafter referred to as Seller and Buyer, hereafter referred to as Buyer, for the sale and purchase of one purebred Weimaraner dog.
In consideration of the price of ________, the Seller transfers the physical rights, privileges, and responsibilities associated with the ownership of the dog to the Buyer, subject to the conditions set forth below as of the date specified. This represents the entire agreement between Seller and Buyer in a sale with full registration.
Conditions of Sale.
- Co-Ownership. The purpose of a legal co-ownership is solely to facilitate logistical coordination related to the dog’s prospective field and breeding career. As referenced in Section C.a. below, the Buyer maintains exclusive authority and responsibilities with regards to the dog’s general health and welfare.
- The dog shall be co-owned by the Seller and Buyer until such time that the dog is deemed retired from a breeding career, or that it is mutually agreed upon by both parties that the Seller no longer needs to retain co-ownership rights to the dog, whichever comes first.
- Non-Transferable. Except by will, ownership of the dog may not be transferred without mutual consent of both Seller and Buyer. The purpose of this clause is to maintain responsibility for every dog produced by Barrett Weimaraners and ensure that no dog ever ends up in the custody of a shelter or rescue organization.
- In the event that the Buyer is unable to keep the dog for any reason, the Buyer shall notify the Seller. The Seller and/or the Seller’s Agent will make immediate arrangements to obtain the dog. If the dog is returned unaltered (not spayed or neutered), in good health, with all veterinarian/health records, and with transfer of AKC ownership paperwork to the sole ownership of the Seller prior to the dog’s first birthday, the Seller shall refund the Buyer $1,000. Thereafter, or if altered, the dog shall be returned to the Seller at no cost.
- AKC Registration. The American Kennel Club (AKC) maintains a registry of purebred dogs in the United States, and facilitates many sporting events, including but not limited to dog shows, agility trials, field trials, and hunt tests.
- The Seller will submit the dog’s AKC registration fees and materials with the dog’s name and Buyer’s contact information within 30 days of the date of this contract.
- Weimaraner Club of America Membership. The Weimaraner Club of America (WCA) is our breed’s parent club and sponsors many activities and programs. The club is national in scope, currently includes over 1,000 members worldwide, and provides an incredible resource for all members. Participation in WCA programs and WCA-sanctioned events are exclusive to dogs owned by members of the WCA. To support the Weimaraner community at large, owners of Barrett Weimaraners are encouraged to maintain active membership for the life of their dog(s).
- The Buyer is encouraged to pay membership dues for the Weimaraner Club of America (WCA). The cost of membership for one adult during a two year time period is $110.
- Weimaraner Club of America Futurity and Maturity Program. The Futurity and Maturity Program is designed to encourage and reward the breeding of Weimaraners who most closely conform to the approved AKC breed standard and its intent. Such recognition is important to the breed for continued breed improvement. More information about the program can be found here.
- The Seller has registered the litter with the WCA Futurity/Maturity administrator. Individual forfeit forms must be submitted to the WCA and paid for by the Buyer. There is a one-time cost of $30.
- Permanent Identification. To minimize the possibility of becoming lost or stolen, Barrett Weimaraners are highly encouraged to be permanently identified, either by tattoo or by microchip.
- The Buyer agrees to have the dog microchipped at the veterinarian’s office within 90 days of the date of this agreement. Please note that once the dog is microchipped, the chip needs to be registered/activated with the Buyer’s contact information. The registration process varies between microchip manufacturers.
- Correspondence. Periodically keeping in touch with the Seller is paramount to the success of the Barrett Weimaraners breeding program. We are interested in your dog’s health and wellness, lifestyle, and personality for its entire life. The more we know, the better breeding decisions we can make for future generations of Barrett Weimaraners.
- The Buyer agrees to notify the Seller at least one week prior to any change of the Buyer’s address or other contact information.
- The Buyer agrees to notify the Seller if at any time the dog becomes critically ill.
Seller’s Warranties and Guarantees.
- Lawful Ownership. The Seller is the lawful owner of said dog and has the right to sell the dog. The Seller warrants that said dog is in good health and sound body; and to the best of the Seller’s knowledge, said dog is of stable temperament and sound disposition at the time that the dog is transferred to Buyer.
- Health Guarantee.
- The Seller guarantees the dog to be in sound health as of the date of sale. In the event that any significant health problem is identified within 7 days of the date of sale, the Buyer may return the dog to the Seller along with a written report from the examining veterinarian. The Seller shall issue the Buyer the full purchase price refund if the dog is returned to the Seller with veterinarian records during this timeframe.
- If the dog it develops health problems, as listed in Attachment A, prior to its third birthday, which in the opinion of two licensed veterinarians are likely to be of an inherited nature, which are unexpected in a dog of that age, and which will interfere with the dog’s long-term ability to fulfill the purpose of being a personal/companion dog, the Buyer agrees to contact the Seller. The Buyer may return the dog or keep the dog and the Seller will reimburse the Buyer for related out-of-pocket veterinary expenses, up to 80% of the purchase price of the dog, upon the following terms and conditions:
- Said dog has been properly maintained and has received proper exercise and diet, and the Buyer has adhered to the vaccination schedule as prescribed by the Seller; and
- Veterinarian records are provided in full; and
- Notice of spaying/neutering, executed in writing by a vet, is sent to the Seller; and
- The Seller reserves the right to have the dog examined at their own expense by any vet of their choosing.
- The Buyer agrees to indemnify and hold Seller harmless from any damages to property, other dogs or persons that may be caused by said dog.
- General responsibilities:
- The Buyer recognizes general characteristics of Weimaraners and accepts the risks and responsibilities of owning the dog; and will be responsible for ongoing, life-time socialization and training for the dog as appropriate for its age and level. A puppy socialization checklist can be downloaded here.
- The Buyer agrees to control said dog when off his/her premises and to avoid loss by theft, running away, damage by other dogs or otherwise.
- Health care:
- The Buyer maintains exclusive authority and responsibilities with regards to the dog’s general health and welfare. Additionally, the Buyer agrees to provide regular veterinary care including, but not limited to checkups, and booster vaccinations or titers. If deemed necessary, the Buyer is encouraged to provide heartworm preventative. As needed, the Buyer also agrees to provide additional veterinary care on a timely basis.
- The Buyer agrees to follow the vaccination protocol provided by The Seller (see Attachment B). Failure to comply with this vaccination protocol immediately voids all Seller warranties and guarantees provided in this contract.
- The Buyer is encouraged to have the dog vaccinated for rabies by a licensed veterinarian and secure a license for the pet as provided by local city or county ordinance. Dogs residing in the State of California are Subject to (17 CCR 2606.4), per California State Law.
Sporting Events. Sporting events, such as dog shows, hunt tests, field trials, ratings tests, etc. test a dog’s strength in each venue. Dog show wins acknowledge a dog’s physical adherence to the breed standard, and field trials, hunt tests and ratings tests confirm a dog’s basic working ability. Success in each of these venues is important within the overall Barrett breeding program.
- AKC Conformation Dog Shows.
- AGREEMENT VERSION A or B:
- This litter was not primarily bred for conformation. Participation in AKC conformation dog shows is therefore not encouraged or required.
- AGREEMENT VERSION C:
- The Seller and Buyer shall mutually agree to an arrangement that is acceptable to both parties. The Seller shall be responsible for local show entry fees and breeder handling expenses. Regional and National level participation is not required but is highly encouraged and may be explored at Buyer’s cost.
- The Seller and Buyer shall mutually agree to the dog’s show schedule.
- AGREEMENT VERSION A or B:
- AKC Field Trials / AKC Hunt Tests / WCA Ratings / NAVHDA Tests.
- AGREEMENT VERSION A or C:
- Participation in AKC field trials, AKC hunt tests, WCA ratings, and NAVHDA tests is not required, but is highly encouraged and may be explored at Buyer’s cost.
- The Seller shall reimburse the Buyer for any rating, test, or trial entry fee if such rating, test, or trial results in a “pass, “prize,” or “placement.” Such events include, but are not limited to: WCA retrieving ratings, WCA shooting ratings, AKC hunt tests, AKC field trials, and NAVHDA Natural Ability and Utility tests.
- The Seller shall offer a $5,000 cash prize to the Buyer upon the achievement of the dog obtaining an AKC Field Champion title. Other prizes may be offered at Seller’s discretion.
- AGREEMENT VERSION B:
- The Seller and Buyer shall mutually agree to an arrangement that is acceptable to both parties. The Seller shall be responsible for all fees and expenses related to the dog’s training and event participation.
- AGREEMENT VERSION A or C:
Breeding. As of this writing, the dog is considered a breeding prospect. Whether or not the dog is actually selected for breeding will be determined by temperament evaluations and health screening results. It is possible that the Seller will deem the dog not fit for breeding, in which case, the Seller and Buyer agree to abandon all breeding efforts. All expenses incurred by the Seller to-date shall be not be reimbursed by the Buyer.
- The Seller and Buyer shall mutually agree to an arrangement that is acceptable to both parties. At minimum, the Seller shall be solely responsible for all initial and ongoing expenses related to pre-breeding, collection, breeding, and semen storage. The Seller also retains any fees received for successful stud service. If desired by the Buyer, the Seller agrees to gift the Buyer with a puppy out of one of the dog’s planned litters.
- The Seller and Buyer agree to indemnify and hold the other party harmless from any damages to property, other dogs or persons that may be caused by said dog, while the dog is in the sole possession of that party. Further, each party to this contract agrees to defend the other parties in the event of any lawsuit brought because of the actions of the dog while in the sole possession of that party.
- The Buyer agrees that this contract will be bound by the laws of the State of California and that any dispute regarding this contract will be settled in a California State court in the county of Kern.
This and any attachments hereto constitute the entire agreement. This Purchase Agreement may be changed at any time with the mutual consent of the Buyer and Seller in writing.
The Seller certifies that all statements made in this Purchase Agreement are true and correct to the best of their knowledge.
The undersigned Buyer and Seller hereby acknowledge with their signatures that they have read and understood the entire Sales Agreement and agree to be bound by all the terms and conditions.