The below is a master index of articles intended to provide the future and existing Weimaraner puppy owner with additional information about the Weimaraner breed, the Barrett breeding philosophy, getting a puppy, and other stuff to browse through as time allows. As always, please feel free to contact me directly with any questions, anytime.
General Canine Education:
- Definition of a Puppy Mill (written by Canis Major)
- The Case for Buying a Puppy from a Reputable Breeder
- Adopt or Shop
The Weimaraner Breed:
- Why the Weimaraner Breed Standard is Important
- An Essay about Life with Weimaraners
- Weimaraner Coat Colors
- Boys v. Girls
- Weimaraners and Cats
General Health Information:
- Hereditary, Genetic and Congenital Conditions in Weimaraners
- Other Weimaraner Health Problems
- Screening for Genetic Diseases in Weimaraners
- (Future article: Visual Index of Health Anomalies)
Research Before You Get a Puppy:
- How to Find a Reputable Breeder
- How to Buy a Weimaraner Puppy
- General Puppy Buyer Etiquette
- Alternatives to Weimaraners
- Frequently Asked Questions
- A Breeder Q&A with Barrett Weimaraners
Things to Know about a Getting a BARRETT Puppy:
- Expect to Wait 6-12 Months
- Expect to Pay a Premium For a Well-Bred Dog
- An Explanation of Why Your Puppy is Chosen For You
- The Difference Between Show Dogs and Pet Dogs
- There are Pet/Companion Puppies Available in Every Litter
Preparing For Your Puppy:
- (Future article: A Puppy Will Impact Your Daily Routine)
- Articles About Your Puppy’s Neo-Natal Development
- The Big To-Do List Before You Bring a Puppy Home
- Establish Best Practices:
Raising Your Barrett Puppy:
- Socializing Your Puppy
- Puppy Training:
General Health and Wellness:
- Puppy Vaccination Protocol
- Early Spay and Neuter in Weimaraners
- How to Tell if Your Weimaraner is Bloating
- Treats for Weimaraners
- (Future article: Nail Trimming)
- (Future article: Ear Cleaning)
- Toxic Foods
- (Future article: Rattlesnake Avoidance)
- Flying Your Weimaraner (with or without you)
- (Future article: Vacationing With Weimaraners)
- (Future article: Finding a Babysitter for Your Weimaraner)
- (Future article: Not Reliably Housebroken)
- (Future article: Unhappy in Crate)
- (Future article: Not Sleeping Overnight)
- (Future article: Leash Pulling)
- Leash Aggression
- (Future article: Excessive Barking and Whining)
- (Future article: Marking on Furniture)
- (Future article: Bad Behavior at the Dog Park)
Learning How to Show Dogs:
- An Overview of the Weimaraner Breed Standard
- Adhering to the WCA Code of Ethics
- An Explanation of the Weimaraner Futurity / Maturity Program
- 2020 AKC Conformation / Point Schedule
- An Explanation of Show Dog Rankings
- Understanding Canine Conformation
- Show Dog Etiquette – Part 1
Getting into Field Trials:
Additional Training Materials:
- Your New Weimaraner Puppy: How to Survive the First Six Months
- This manual is written specifically for new Weimaraner puppy owners. Every Barrett puppy comes home with one of these, but if you’d like to buy a copy, please do so!
- 101 Dog Tricks
- A must-have for puppy owners; it’s a great book for bonding with your puppy and teaching her a few good tricks!
Southern California Training Facilities:
- Jump Start Dog Sports, Yorba Linda, CA. I’ve taken a few conformation and obedience classes here with my dogs, and highly recommend the knowledge and expertise at this full-service facility. (Friday and LunaBelle have been here.)
- Wags and Wiggles, Tustin and Rancho Santa Margarita, CA. We haven’t trained our dogs at this facility, but we have sent them here for daycare and weekend boarding when we’re out of town. (Britta and Wally been here.)
- Penny Scott-Fox, Pasadena, CA. Jasper/Orange Boy from our 2013 litter and his parents have been enrolled in a few of Penny’s classes. Penny comes highly recommended from Jasper’s family. (Jasper has been here.)
Local Weimaraner Rescues:
- California Weimaraner Education and Rescue | Southern California
- Northern California Weimaraner Rescue | Northern California
- American Kennel Club | The national dog website for the United States.
- North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association | A group for hunting/bird dogs.
- Steady with Style | A site dedicated to the West/Gibbons/Lindley method of training pointing dogs the low pressure, quiet way.
- The Whole Dog Journal | Particularly useful for troubleshooting dog problems.
- The Dog Snobs | It’s a great way to pass an afternoon when I’m feeling judgmental… hey, it happens.
- Just Weimaraners | Just like it sounds, an entire website dedicated just for Weimaraner owners.
- Weimaraner Addict | A forum for Weimaraner addicts.
- Weimaraner Club of America | The national club website for the United States.
- Orange Coast Weimaraner Club | A club for Weimaraner owners in Southern California. This club hosts field trials.
- Southland Weimaraner Club | Another club site for Weimaraner owners in Southern California. This club hosts annual conformation/show specialties.
- Introduction to Conformation/Bench Dog Shows | A very informative post by the folks at Aldemar Weimaraners.
- Becoming a Better Conformation/Bench Owner/Handler | An article by Christi McDonald
- Canine Chronicle | It’s gonna be a cool day when my dogs are featured on this site.
Books in Print:
- Weimaraner Ways (written by Virginia Alexander)
- This book was written by my girl’s breeder, Ms. Virginia Alexander. If you’re only going to own ONE book about Weimaraners, make this be the one. It’s FULL of Weimaraner specific information that you simply cannot get in just any book. I own this book and am happy to show it to you, but my copy is autographed so I’m not willing to lend it out. 🙂
- Weimaraners (written by Judythe Coffman)
- This book is a bit outdated, but it still has useful Weimaraner-specific information in it. I also own this book, and I’m happy to lend it out.
Last updated: July 2020